Tuesday, October 16, 2007

My trip to Goa with two……... Part 2 (pls read part 1 first)

To describe me as utterly shocked to the core is like throwing a dart as close to the bulls eye as possible. One can also describe me as spellbound and speechless partially because Mr. Manikant, who seemed to share my feelings, in his booming voice pounded questions at the driver who also looked shocked by the influx of so many queries. I guess Mr. Mohit was not shocked because he sat motionless, oblivious of what was going on with his huge tinted sunglasses on. May be he was taking a nap!

After the barrage of questions the hapless driver was finding it difficult to drive on the already damaged highway. The answers given by the driver did not elicit any new information.

“I was right, wasn’t I?” the pessimist resurfaced again. “It’s not as bad as it looks like, you still have your phone, internet and some books. They should keep you afloat for the next week” the optimist always seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

We reached the client location after travelling 20 minutes from the Goa-Karnataka border. The entry gate was unassuming. The moment we entered the factory premises, a cold breeze swept into from the car’s air conditioning on to my face, silence engulfed the vehicle different from the silence during the 2.5 hrs ride, a distinct peace settled into my heart, the surroundings could have inspired Robert Frost to pen something immortal. Involuntarily I reached for phone and to my horror I found there was no network. The cold breeze withdrew, silence during the ride took its rightful place again, the peace which settled itself on false pretences was kicked out and Robert Frost would not have dreamed of entering such a place.

“There is no network here!!” I blurted out.

“Only BSNL phones work here, sir” the driver said.

“I don’t use a mobile phone. People become slaves of mobiles.” declared Mr. Manikant.

“Only BSNL, shit man” I cried out

“Everybody has a mobile phone these days; they pay money to get enslaved, to loose their independence.” interpolated Mr. Manikant again.

“Only BSNL, are u sure” I asked driver, in a tone which in itself was the answer to the question I posed. The driver sympathetically nodded his head, to indicate that I was not the first one.

“Addiction……young people get addicted to mobiles. In my days the landline was only a mode of communication” concluded you know who.

First mode of transportation, now mode of communication. Before I could think of any other modes, I realised with yet another shock that no network meant no internet, since I used my phone to connect to the net. Despair…….yes despair would just about sum up my situation.

For the next three days, my elderly colleagues did what they did best and I did what I don’t do the best, which is, appreciating the greenery around, enjoying the tranquility of the place, soliloquizing, gazing at office furniture and stuff like that. At the end of the third day, while having my dinner, a brilliant thought stuck me – what if I can go back to Hyderabad (my home town) for the weekend, instead of travelling back to Delhi. The more I thought about it, the more plausible it seemed and before I finished my dinner, my spirits were on a new high.

Next day was beautiful. I could hear the birds chirping, experienced a gentle breeze and I heard Mr. Mohit talk. Just when things were going great, I was informed that Kapil was trying to get in touch with me. With a definite feeling of foreboding I dialed Kapil’s number. The long and short of the phone call, which you might have already guessed is not good news, is that ‘we’ have to go to Bhuj in Gujrat to another factory, for three more days.

What does a man do when his hopes are crushed and has to look forward to few more days of dread and horror? He sulks. And that’s what I did; I sulked for the whole day, succumbed to the inevitable and landed in Bhuj on Sunday morning.

What is the first thing, which comes to your mind when you hear about Bhuj. Yes….earthquakes! And what are the odds of an earthquake on Monday morning when I am fast asleep? At about 5 in the morning, an earthquake measuring 4.8 on the Richter scale (for the information of readers, no damage to property or life was reported) shook Bhuj. A nice ‘Welcome to Bhuj’ gift, isn’t it?

This client location had the almost the same characteristics of the previous one with one exception. Unlike Karwar which was endowed with ample greenery, Bhuj was totally dry. Only weeds grew in abundance in Bhuj. From experiencing a new high a few days back, my spirits plummeted to a new low during these days. But all was not lost; I could still go to Hyderabad this weekend if I was not sent to another godforsaken place, though I was not too optimistic about it and who can blame me?

My fear was not misplaced when Mr. Manikant cornered me on the third day at Bhuj and informed me that we were going to Jamnagar next for ‘only’ two days. Compared to all previous blows, this piece of news was taken by me pretty well; the primary reason being he also asked me to book the tickets for Delhi on Saturday.

Two days in Jamnagar were a mere blur; with ticket to Hyderabad (I booked a ticket to Hyderabad instead of Delhi) in my hand, I entered the airport on Saturday. Could anything go wrong from here? I asked myself. Looking back at the two weeks anything could happen, but it seemed that gods were in a happy mood over the weekend partying somewhere in the heavens.

I spent two days blissfully in Hyderabad and on Monday evening I was on the flight back to Delhi. What I was about to face in Delhi was nothing compared to the last two weeks. But that’s another story!!

Epilogue: I like the word ‘Epilogue’ and that’s the reason I am writing one and whether this is an epilogue or not I have no idea. When I landed in Hyderabad I realised that Mr. Mohit had never been with us in Jamnagar. Back in Delhi I was told that he returned after the trip to Bhuj.

3 comments:

Vinny said...

hehehe ... you sure had one memorable journey .. hopefully ABC consulting will offer you many more such beautiful journey and companionship to go with it .....

Unknown said...

hmnn.......rocked da tour?..........so u had a gr8 deal to go on with such unexpected things........

Unknown said...

Great Nrupesh, I was just njoying the tour of your blog. It was the first time I visited your blog, and as to my astonishment, there are no other word which blocked my mind was Excellent!!!

The way you are building the blog by narrating the things you faced/experienced by using simple and lucrative (except some difficult/ confused and never heard words)language is mind blowing....

Any way please continue this blog with new things...all the best..keep smiling...